March 29, 2012

Blueberry Turnovers



What are your thoughts on pie?  My husband LOVES pie.....any and all pie.  If I ask him what he'd like for dessert he 9 times out of 10 will say pie.  For me, I could take it or leave it.  I like pie, but I can turn it down without a problem.  Wave a cookie under my nose however, and I'll gobble it up without thinking twice. 

So, once in a while when my husband requests pie my mind goes to turnovers.  I don't know why but they sometimes seem more appealing to me.  Maybe because it's a little less labor intensive.  Or maybe it's because you can take a few and pop them in the freezer for an easy dessert for later.  Or, maybe it's just because it's something different to make. 

Either way, the filling for these blueberry turnovers is delicious.  It's also the filling recipe I have been using in my blueberry pies for years (adapted from a Stonewall Kitchen recipe).  If you are in the mood for something different, give these a try and watch them disappear....  

Blueberry Turnovers:

1 (17.25 oz) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
Use the filling from the Blueberry Pie recipe (click here for recipe)
Heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2

Preheat oven to 400. Unfold puff pastry, and cut each sheet into 4 squares. Spoon blueberry filling onto the center of each square. Fold over from corner to corner to form a triangle shape and press edges together with a fork to seal. Place turnovers onto a cookie sheet, leaving about an inch in between each turnover. Brush tops with heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 25 minutes, or until turnovers are puffed and lightly browned.  Makes 8 turnovers

No comments:

Post a Comment