May 17, 2012

THE Best Coconut Cream Pie


Even though I try to eat healthy and watch my weight, I pretty much make some kind of dessert every weekend.  Why should my 13 yr old son and husband suffer just because I don't want to be tempted, right?? 

While cookies tend to be my favorite treat, this pie is my favorite as far as "cream pie" goes.  After many attempts at making the perfect coconut cream pie, I believe I have achieved greatness with this one!  To me it is perfect in all things - flavor, texture, thickness, etc.



I also think coconut and chocolate go well together, so I think in the future I will attempt this pie with a chocolate cookie crust.....mmmm, doesn't that sound good?  I will have to experiment with that idea soon!  Needless to say, the pie you see here didn't last more than two days and we all fought over the last piece

Coconut Cream Pie

1 1/2 cups of half & half
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup corn starch
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups coconut, toasted
1 tsp vanilla
1, 9 inch pie shell, baked and cooled
1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed 

Toast coconut:  spread coconut onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 5-7 minutes until golden brown.  Stir occasionally and watch closely to make it doesn't burn. 

In a medium saucepan, combine the half & half, coconut milk, sugar, corn starch, salt and eggs.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla. Pour into the cooled pie shell and place in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours, or until firm. 


Top chilled pie with the whipped topping and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup toasted coconut.  Note:  I use Cool Whip because I find that when I use homemade whipped cream it just doesn't hold up well - after a little time the homemade whipped cream tends to deflate.

7 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful pie! Thank you for sharing this recipe on RecipeNewZ! It was very popular with our visitors and as such is featured on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/RecipeNewZ. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try "stabilizing" your whipped cream. Then you can use it anywhere you would use Cool Whip. It changed my life, ha!
    Great recipe, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it canned coconut milk, or coconut milk next to regular milk in the cold section?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used canned. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favourite pie of all time! The coconut milk makes all the difference. Thanks for sharing. I'm headed to the kitchen to make it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. This is high on our family favorites list :) Thanks for commenting and stopping by!

      Delete