May 14, 2012

Cranberry Walnut Rolls


I wish I knew where I got this recipe so I could give credit where credit is due, but sadly I have no idea.  I used to find and print recipes without any info on where they came from.  However, with the blog I feel it's important to know where the recipes came from, so now I always make sure to jot it down somewhere.

Anyway, I came across this recipe and thought it sounded interesting.  I wasn't sure if they would turn out like a dinner roll or more like a sweet roll to have with brunch or breakfast or something like that.  But to my surprise they turned out to be more like a dinner roll, and actually go quite nicely with almost any meal.  I am excited to make them to go with a holiday meal sometime in the near future.  I think Thanksgiving would be perfect for these rolls.  This recipe is a keeper for sure!


Cranberry Walnut Rolls, Yields 12 rolls


3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp quick-rising yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil, + extra to coat a large bowl
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts


Place walnuts in a dry skillet, and toast over medium heat for about 5 minutes.  Set aside to cool.


Mix the flour, brown sugar, yeast and salt in bowl of electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment.  Warm the milk in a small saucepan over low heat until it reaches about 95 degrees.  Add the oil and remove from heat.  Add the milk mixture and the egg to the flour mixture, and mix on low until a wet ball forms (about 1 minute).  Add the cranberries and the walnuts, and replace the paddle attachment with a dough hook.  Mix dough on medium-low until it's smooth and elastic, adding more flour by the tablespoon as needed, for about 4 minutes.  Transfer to a floured surface and knead the dough for about 2 minutes. 


Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat with oil.  Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, 1 1/2 - 2 hours.


Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.  Transfer dough to a slightly floured surface and divide dough into 12 equal pieces.  Shape each piece into a smooth round ball, and place on baking sheet.  Spray a little cooking spray on the top of each roll, and cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until double in size, about 1 1/2 hours.  Preheat oven to 425.


Place rolls in preheated oven and reduce the heat to 400, and bake for about 7 minutes.  Rotate baking sheet and continue to bake until golden brown, about 8 more minutes.  

3 comments:

  1. This would be great for Thanksgiving indeed. The cranberry in it, a giveaway ;)
    Looks versatile...Thanks for sharing. I am bookmarking this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you will make them & love them as much as we do. Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe is from Bon appetit. I make them all the time.they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete