May 25, 2012

Macaroni Salad


Ah, macaroni salad.  It's such a staple for cookouts, and in the summer everyone is making their own version of it.  Usually with waaaaay to much mayonnaise for my liking, but I won't get into how I don't like mayonnaise....again.  

I, of course, never ate macaroni salad when I was younger (yes, because of the mayo in it) but when I worked in the kitchen at my son's school there were several things I had to make that I didn't like.  Macaroni salad was one of them, so my co-worker Patty gave me a run down of how she made it at home for her family.  It sounded interesting, and more appealing to me than other versions I'd seen over the years.  Probably because she put tuna fish and peas in hers, and even though I don't like mayo, tuna is something I do like (even with mayonnaise in it).  I made it the way she instructed and I was shocked at how good it was.  I actually liked it!!!!



I brought a little of the left overs home for my husband to try, and he agreed it was delicious.  We were both excited - him because he knew it meant he would be eating it again in the future, and me because I discovered a macaroni salad that I enjoyed!  Since then, I have made this salad more times than I could ever count.  Even some picky eaters in our family like it!  Thank you Patty

Macaroni Salad

14.5 oz box elbow noodles (cooked, drained and cooled to room temp)
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed (not cooked)
2 cans tuna (drained and crumbled up)
1 1/4-1/2 cup mayonnaise (start small and add more to suite your preference)
1 tsp salt
1/2 pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

Once the noodles are cooled to room temp, add them to a large bowl.  Add the remaining ingredients, and stir until completely combined.  Cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.  When ready to serve, give it a stir.  If it seems a little dry add 1/4 cup more of mayonnaise, or as much as desire.  Taste and adjust seasoning if needed - it may need more salt and pepper, depending on your preferences.  Serves 10-12.

2 comments: