June 21, 2012

Perfect Meatballs




Who doesn't love a good meatball, right?  A lot of recipes for meatballs say to use a mix of beef, pork and veal.  There was a time when I would ignore those recommendations.  Then one day I decided I wanted to make the ultimate meatball, something really special...something above and beyond any other meatball I've made before.  So, I decided to try the 3 meat mixture in my regular meatball recipe to see if it would make a difference. 

Can I just say that I was AMAZED at the results!  Who knew it would make THAT much of a difference????  Obviously lots of chefs out there know that the mixture of different meats makes a huge difference, but this was a ground breaking discovery for me!  The texture is softer and way more delicate, and the taste was noticeably better – much more flavor.  I WILL NEVER MAKE MEATBALLS WITH JUST GROUND BEEF AGAIN!

   
If you are like me and didn’t think using the three different meats would make much of a difference, I am here to tell you that it does and you must try it to see for yourself. 

Perfect Meatballs

1 lb ground beef
½ lb ground pork
½ lb ground veal
¾ cup panko bread crumbs
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp chopped garlic
1tbsp chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried parsley)
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried basil)
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 large egg, beaten
¾ cup warm water

Preheat oven to 350.  Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray.  Add all ingredients to a large bowl.  Combine gently with your hands (or fork if you prefer).  Form into 2-inch meatballs and place on cookie sheet.  Place in oven and cook for 20-30 min.  After 20 minutes cut into a meatball to see if they are cooked thru (it’s OK if they are slightly pink in the middle because they will continue to cook a little when you take them out). 

4 comments:

  1. It really does make a difference, I'm a recent meatball making convert too. I agree that the texture is so much lighter when you mix the meats. These looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Sue! BTW, your summer rolls look fabulous!!

      Delete
  2. Great article! We will be linking to this great article on our website. Keep up the good writing. http://iuok.ir
    http://iuok.ir ابزار وبلاگ

    ReplyDelete