September 17, 2012

Bacon, Mushroom & Spinach Crust-less Quiche


Quiche is an egg dish that I love to eat.  I only like the crust less kind though, and so over time I've jotted down ideas for quiche that I've been wanting to try.  I assumed it wouldn't be something my husband or son would be interested in, so I figured I'd make it for myself when they aren't around.  Then last week my husband and I were talking about using up all the eggs our chickens having been producing and he actually mentioned making quiche!  I nearly fell out of my chair when he said his mom made it all the time when he was a kid and he loves it.  Well, that was all I needed to hear - quiche was going to be on the menu for dinner this week!

I wanted it to include ingredients that I thought the boys would like so I settled on a bacon, mushroom & spinach quiche.  It turned out to be a wonderful combination and everyone really liked it.  Now that I know they like it and will eat it, I think I see a few more quiche recipes in our future!


Bacon, Mushroom & Spinach Crust-less Quiche

3/4 pound mushrooms (I used baby porta bella)
8 slices bacon
1/2 cup shallots, chopped
1/2 of a 10oz box of frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
2 scallions chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1 cup milk
1 cup half & half
3 large eggs
1 egg yolk
4 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
pinch of nutmeg
salt & pepper

Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp, than transfer to paper towels to drain the fat.  Keep a couple of tablespoons of the bacon fat in the pan and add 2 tbsp of butter, the mushrooms and about 1/2 tsp salt.  Cook until the moisture from the mushrooms has cooked off (8-10 minutes).  Add the shallots to the pan of mushrooms and cook until tender. Add the garlic and spinach, stirring well to combine.  Remove from heat and cool for a couple of minutes.

Spray a 9 inch oven-safe pan or glass pie dish with cooking spray, and preheat oven to 350.  Spread the Parmesan cheese evenly over the bottom of the dish, sprinkle 1/2 of the Gruyere cheese over the Parmesan, then crumble up the bacon and add it on top. Add 3/4 of the mushroom & spinach mixture, then top with the rest of the cheese.  

Mix the milk, half & half, and eggs together.  Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, then pour into pan over the rest of the ingredients.  Top with the remaining mushroom mixture, and sprinkle with the scallions.  Bake for about 45 minutes or until the quiche is set in the center. 

No comments:

Post a Comment