September 26, 2012

Sauteed Kale


I have used kale in lots of things - soup, egg dishes, mixed into mashed potatoes, etc.  However, for some reason I never thought to just saute it up and have it as a side dish.  While flipping through my Cook's Illustrated cookbook the other day I came across a recipe for it.  I thought I'd give it a try since I had some kale leftover from when I made minestrone soup last week.

I always liked kale - it is so healthy for you, it truly is a "super food".  But now that I've had it cooked like this, I LOVE kale!  I can't believe I've been missing out all this time on such a wonderfully delicious dish.  I honestly could eat a big bowl of it as a meal....it's that good!  If you've never had it cooked like this, trust me - give this a try.  Now I know why people have bumper stickers that say "Eat More Kale!"


Sauteed Kale with Raisins & Pine Nuts (adapted from Cook's Illustrated)


4-5 cups kale, removed from stems and chopped
1/2 tsp garlic, chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tbsp of raisins
Olive oil
salt & pepper

Heat about 2 tbsp of olive oil medium heat in  medium-sized saute pan.  After chopping the kale, submerge it in water & swish it around to get it nice and clean.  Remove from water and shake off excess water, but don't pat it dry - you want it to be a little damp.  

Add the pine nuts and garlic to the oil in the pan, and cook for about 2 minutes or until the nuts start to sizzle.  Add the raisins and kale, stir and cover.  Cook until the greens wilt, stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes).  Remove the cover and season with salt and pepper.  Turn the heat up to high and cook for about another 2 minutes, or until the liquid evaporates.  Will serve 2-3 if used as a side dish.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a really tasty dish and by the looks of it, quick. I hope to give this a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This IS delicious. So simple yet so good. I've made it four times in the last 2weeks, and once threw in some Swiss chard too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing that something so simple could be SO GOOD?!?!??! Glad you liked and thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this via pintrest and I am SO excited to try it. Tomorrow! :) Thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete