January 14, 2013

Carmelitas


On Christmas morning, as I was making dinner rolls, my KitchenAid stand mixer died.  I couldn't believe my luck, however I managed to get the rolls done (even though they didn't come out quite the same).  The following weekend my husband suggested we go to Costco to get a new KitchenAid because they had the one with the drop down bowl on sale, and it could be my early birthday present (which is in February).  I think I was in the car before he even finished his sentence!  So now, thanks to my wonderful husband (whom I am sure had a few ulterior motives going of his own), I have a brand new fancy KitchenAid!  Ah, isn't it funny how certain things, like a new KitchenAid, excite us as we get older???  At 21 if someone suggested buying me a KitchenAid stand mixer I would have suggested a much better way to spend that kind of money!  But now at....well, now that I'm older, I couldn't be happier with this gift :)

This past weekend I asked my husband what he wanted me to make for dessert.  He suggested chocolate chip cookies.  However, I was craving something with caramel.  That's when the little light bulb went off in my head - combine the two and you've got carmelitas!  Such a classic dessert, and oh so perfect.  What is better than caramel and chocolate chip cookies???  Heat it up for a few seconds in the microwave and top it with vanilla ice cream....oh man, soooo amazing!!  This is my version.  It didn't require the use of my new mixer, but that's OK.....there's always next weekend ;)



Carmelitas

1 1/4 caramel sauce (Click here and scroll down to find recipe)
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 pecans, chopped
1 tsp vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips

Make the caramel sauce and set aside to cool.  In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, both types of oats, pecans, vanilla and baking soda. Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8x8" pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust, and pour the caramel sauce over chocolate chips. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel. Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting. Stored and serve at room temperature.

8 comments:

  1. Oh no you didn't. These look positively sinful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THEY ARE! If you've never had one, you must go make these immediately ;)

      Delete
  2. These look so good. 2 things though 1) is it 1 1/4 (cup) of caramel sauce?
    and 2) the link to the caramel sauce recipe isn't working.

    I look forward to trying these soon.

    Leona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is working now.
      Leona

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is 1 & 1/4 cup of caramel sauce and if the link won't work just go to my desserts page and the recipe for the caramel sauce is there. You can of course use store bought, but I promise the homemade stuff is a million times better! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. you're truly a excellent webmaster. The web site
    loading pace is amazing. It kind of feels that you are doing any unique trick.
    In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you've performed a fantastic activity
    in this topic!

    Check out my web site :: CSR Classics Hack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I just want to give you a huge thumbs up for the
    great information you have right here on this post.
    I will be coming back to your website for more soon.

    ReplyDelete