April 17, 2013

Orange Haddock



Oh how I love fish.  Sometimes I think I could eat just fish and chicken....until I get a craving for a burger or bacon.  Lets face it - I will never be able to give up red meat.  I honestly don't know what I'd do if I was told I had to.  It's bad enough that I was just told that I need to stay away from gluten.  Luckily, I do not have celiac disease, however it was discovered that I have gluten sensitivities.  So, if I want my digestive issues to get better I need to cut out the gluten.  Blah....life without gluten = no fun!  But don't worry - this is not going to become a "Gluten-Free Blog".  There's plenty of those out there.  This blog will remain as I intended - to be a place to chronicle my family's favorite foods/recipes, and since I will still be cooking for others who are not gluten-free I see no reason to change the direction of my blog.  However, you will probably see some recipes here that are gluten-free in the future, but only if I really come across something that I just have to share.  Now that I have to travel down the gluten-free road, I am hoping to find and/or develop gluten-free recipes that will be worth sharing.  We'll see...wish me luck!

Anyway, back to fish.  I pretty much enjoy all fish, but unfortunately I don't get to eat it as much as I'd like.  My husband only likes fried fish, and since I hate frying food (especially fish because it just seems wrong), we just don't have fish very often.  Since my husband travels a lot for work, I take those occasions to make myself some fish.  This was one of those days.  I absolutely love how this dish came out - the haddock has a nice light texture and flavor, which paired perfectly with the fresh orange flavors.  For me, this fish was perfect.  Feel free to use any white fish, and if you like a little "zing" to your food add some red pepper flakes.  Either way, this fish is delicious!

Orange Haddock  (serves 4)

4 haddock fillets
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup white wine (any kind works)
1 cup orange marmalade
4 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.  Rinse the haddock in cool water, pat dry, season both sides of each piece with salt & pepper and place in baking dish.  Sprinkle the lemon juice evenly over fish.  Divide the butter up and top each piece of fish it.  Add the wine to the bottom of the pan, cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes or until fish is cooked through.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, add the orange marmalade and mustard.  Stir to combine and heat on low. When fish is done, plate it and spoon the orange marmalade mixture over top of the fish.  Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, kiddo! I'm going to make this tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it goes over with my guys. I can already tell that I'm going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! Hope you all love it....I for sure did ☺ Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete