November 12, 2013

Easy Chicken & Biscuits


Brrrrr.  Winter is upon us.  It's dark.  It's cold.  It's damp.  Soon we will have weeks upon weeks of "snow showers" with no break.  Soon I will become slightly depressed because I always get the winter blues.  However, this year I will get a break in February when my husband and I take a trip to Antigua.  That will be about the time that I get a little down and sick of the cold dreary days, so vacation will most definitely lift my spirits enough to carry me through to April/May when it starts warming up again.  I think just anticipating the trip is helping also - I can't wait!

This past weekend was youth hunting in Vermont, so my son and husband spent both days out in the woods.  I like to prepare yummy snacks to take with them during the day, and hot comforting meals for when they get home in the evenings.  I usually take requests, and this particular weekend both my son and husband requested chicken and biscuits.  I love when everyone wants the same thing for dinner!  Not that I ever make separate meals for those times when someone doesn't like what's on the menu, but it is so much more peaceful when everyone likes the meal that's on the table!  Since I am still a little sore from surgery, I decided to take a few shortcuts this time.  This chicken and biscuits recipe is relatively easy to make, and slightly quicker as well.  In our family we prefer to cook the biscuits separately, but feel free to put the whole mixture in a baking dish and top it with your biscuit dough and pop it in the oven to cook.  However, this is how I do it:




Easy Chicken & Biscuits (serves about 6)

2 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts cooked & shredded
6 tbsp butter
3/4 cup flour
1 cup vegetable stock
5 cups chicken stock
1 cup water mixed with 1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp ground sage
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp pepper
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup frozen peas
1 1/2 cups diced carrots, canned or frozen
6 biscuits - click here for recipe

Cook your chicken breasts, shred or cut into chunks, and set aside.  Melt the butter in a large saucepan on medium-high heat.  Add the flour, whisk well to combine and cook for about 1 minute.  Add the vegetable stock and whisk vigorously making sure to not leave any clumps and mixture is nice and smooth.  Add the chicken stock and whisk vigorously again.  Let the mixture begin to bubble then begin to whisk constantly again, making sure the mixture is smooth.  Add the water mixed with cornstarch, and whisk well to combine.  Add the thyme, onion powder, sage, parsley, salt and pepper and stir to combine.  Turn heat down to medium and let it simmer and thicken for about 20-30 minutes.  Add your shredded chicken, peas and carrots and stir to combine.  Put your biscuit mixture together and pop them in the oven while the chicken gravy mixture is warming through.  When your biscuits are ready, split them in half and place on your plate and top with your chicken gravy mixture.  Serve with cranberry sauce & enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. this looks so good but i don't eat chicken,, so i'm going to try and make it with beef..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make up the chicken mixture, put in a 9x13 pan. Make a batch of buttermilk biscuits. Then put on top of chicken mixture and bake til biscuits are golden brown. Called cream chicken and biscuits. Also use leftover turkey to make this. Delicious either way. My grandma made this when I was a child back in the 60's. My grandma was from south easterner Ky. She could cook.

    ReplyDelete