November 16, 2013

Easy Skillet Potato Gratin


Both my husband and son are "meat & potatoes" kind of guys.  My husband tends to like things simple when it comes to potatoes (butter, salt & pepper), but my son likes cheese and sour cream and all those goodies.  One thing they have in common when it comes to potatoes is that they both love potato gratin and scalloped potatoes.

Since I do most of the cooking in this family, there are times when you want to cook things your family loves, but sometimes it's just too time consuming. When I came across this recipe I thought it sounded much easier to throw together than my usual "go to" recipe for potato gratin (click here for recipe).  So, I knew I needed to give it a try.  Turns out, this was not only easy, it was super delicious!  I really liked these potatoes, and I also like that you can alter it to determine the end result - cook them a little less time for cheesier potatoes or a little longer for crispier potatoes.  This recipe is a keeper!



Easy Skillet Potato Gratin (adapted from Williams Sonoma)

2 tbsp butter
1/2 large onion, diced
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 lbs potatoes, peeled & cut into 1" cubes
1/4 cup grate Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375, and melt butter in a large cast iron skillet (or any type of skillet that can go directly into the oven to finish cooking) on medium heat.  Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.  Whisk in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes.  Whisk in the cream and chicken stock until smooth.  Add the Gruyere and thyme, and stir until cheese has melted.  Season with salt & pepper to taste.  Add the potatoes and stir to coat the evenly. Put a lid on the skillet and continue to cook for 15 minutes.

Remove the lid and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly over top.  Place skillet into the oven and bake uncovered until the top in golden brown and it's bubbling, 20-30 minutes.  Serves 4-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment