December 26, 2013

Nanaimo Bars


Every now and then my sister will send me a bunch of recipes and ask me to make them.  The problem for me is that she doesn't live in the same state as me, and since I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of goodies hanging around, I don't ever make anything she sends me.  If she lived nearby, and I could deliver the goodies to her, then I would totally make whatever she asks me to.  In addition to her not living nearby, we also do not have the same tastes.  For instance, she is a chocolate fanatic (to the point where she needs to have it everyday)....while I on the other hand am not big on chocolate. 

Since my husband and son were going to be stopping by my sister's this week, I knew it would be the perfect time to make something for her.  So I sent her an email and offered to make a treat of her choice, and these Nanaimo Bars is what she ended up choosing.  Not only have I never eaten these before, I have never made them before either.  That's OK though, I love trying new recipes.  I read over the recipe a few times and thought it sounded like it was going to be pretty sweet because it seemed like a lot of sugar in the middle layer.  So I looked at several other recipes online for Nanaimo Bars, and sure enough, they all had the same amount of sugar.  Relieved that there wasn't a typo in the recipe she gave me, I set out to make it. 


This recipe is pretty easy to put together.  However, I was correct, and it is a pretty sweet treat!  But I'm the girl who picks most of the frosting off her cake, so for me, this dessert was a bit on the "too sweet" side.  My son tried it though and said he liked it, so I guess it's just me.  Hopefully my sister will enjoy it!  For all you sweet treat lovers out there, give this one a try - it might be right up your alley!  

Nanaimo Bars (from The Happy Baker)

Base:
1 stick butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1 egg
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cup coconut flakes

Filling:
1 stick of butter, softened
3 tbsp milk
2 tbsp custard powder or instant vanilla pudding mix
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups confectioner's sugar

Glaze:
3 tbsp butter
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Base:  Add the butter, sugar and cocoa to a medium saucepan on medium-low heat, stirring to combine.   Add the egg and continue to cook while stirring constantly until mixture thickens.  Remove from heat, then mix in the graham cracker crumbs and coconut.  Spray a 8 or 9 inch square pan with cooking spray, then press this mixture into the bottom of the dish.  Place in refrigerator to chill.

Filling:  Add the butter, milk, vanilla, custard powder, and sugar to the bowl of an electric stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy.  Spread evenly over the base, then put back into the refrigerator to chill.

Glaze:  Add the butter and chocolate chips to a small sauce, and melt them together on low heat.  Cool for about 5 minutes, then pour and spread evenly for the filling.  Refrigerate again until set.

4 comments: